Greetings Community Friends and Council!
Thank you so much to all that attended and participated in our first annual America’s PrepareAthon Town Hall Meeting on Emergency Preparedness. I really appreciate the support! I believe the items in the below e-brief further supports the topics we discussed that night. We really need to be communications champions and pass the word on to family and friends about emergency preparedness. As it was mentioned many times during our Town Hall Meeting, it is key for the city’s resources to be focused on RECOVERY after an event.
We discussed many topics and we really had some great suggestions from those in attendance. Remember this is OUR plan and together with everyone making
an effort to prepare themselves and their families we will gain strength from whatever event we are challenged with.
Also, included in the article, was yet another item we discussed during our meeting, and that was volunteering and the need for volunteers to make all of the programs mentioned functional when disaster strikes. Our Volunteer Coordinator, Belinda Swindler, is working on ways to make it easy for you to sign-up with the ability to pick your location of choice to volunteer. Please be looking for those forthcoming opportunities to volunteer.
Below are some dates for you to mark on your calendar to remember:
· June 1st – Atlantic Hurricane Season begins
· June 4th – Recovery Drill POD’s (Points of Distribution) and NDIP’s (Neighborhood Distribution and Information Points)
1. Location: POD site TBD @ 9:00 a.m.
2. Location: NDIP – Riverbluff Church, Whitehall Subdivision @ 12:00 noon
· June 7th – The Dorchester County Hurricane Preparedness Expo at Lowe’s on Dorchester Rd.
· June 19th – Charleston County Drill: The City of North Charleston will activate the MEOC (Municipal Emergency Operations Center)
**All are welcome to come out and view the June 4th event where both the POD (Points of Distribution) and the NDIP (Neighborhood Distribution Information Points) will be activated;however, the June 19th event is closed to the public.
Thanks so much for your service to our city, and again, for your support of emergency preparedness.
Butch Barfield, Director N. Char. Emergency Preparedness